Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Get Organized- The JUNK drawer

The lazy days of summer are finally here and to say I'm excited would be an understatement. Sunshine, pool time and PROJECTS are among the many things I look forward to doing during my 10 week hiatus from life. (I'm being dramatic... I don't really take a hiatus from life. ;)

I have a few projects planned (master bedroom accent wall, possible basement refinishing and working on an office space in one of the bedrooms) but I would like to consistently share tips and tricks for getting organized. 

This post, I'd like to focus on that one drawer we ALL have... typically in the kitchen. It's home to the most random crap ever... batteries, tooth picks, keys, screw drivers, check books, chap stick, rubber bands, thank you cards, coins, gum, cords, chargers, old phones... you know exactly what I'm talking about. THE JUNK DRAWER. 



If you don't have one, then I salute you because you're one in a million. If you have one and you're embarrassed by it, then join the club and read on because today, I am sharing some of my tips on organizing my junk drawer. 

It got to the point where I couldn't even open the drawer... then I knew something had to be done.



I started by emptying everything out and just staring at the pile of crap. Staring lasted a good 5 minutes before I decided to drag my garbage can over and throw away as much as possible. I was still left with a significantly overwhelming amount of crap (that I needed). (I had before pictures but I can't find them... maybe I was subconsciously so embarrassed that I "accidentally" deleted them all.) 

I began by making piles... spare keys, batteries, post-its, pens/markers, little tiny metal tools (like eye glasses repair kits and such), etc. After I made my piles, I sifted through my Tupperware drawer and found OXO good grips containers I wasn't using. (These are expensive to use for a junk drawer however, I wasn't using the small ones in my pantry so I figured rather than buy something at the dollar store, I'd put these to good use.) 

***ALWAYS search around your home before you buy new containers. Chances are you have something that can be used. (more on re-purposing containers later) I used the containers to organize, that way everything stays in its own area verses rolling around in a drawer. 



You don't have to limit yourself to traditional containers... think outside the box! I used this tiny pot to hold paper clips. (How cute is this little pot, btw? My brother got it for me from Japan!) 


Again, don't get caught up in finding the most attractive containers. I re-used this battery box to keep (you guessed it) extra batteries in. Remember, the purpose of a junk drawer is to store stuff that doesn't really have a place in your home. 

 If you want to get REALLY fancy, wrap this little box in wrapping paper! Takes seconds and looks really cute. 


^ Here is one of those OXO containers I mentioned. If you have them and aren't using them, they make great containers for pens, markers and other misc. items. 

You can get REALLY creative with your containers:

- 6 hole cupcake tin
- egg carton
- old boxes wrapped in wrapping paper (to make them look pretty)

Here are some images I found while surfing the web:



^ Found this from the Shabby Grace Blog 

I also found this GREAT link called 13 Brilliant Ways to Re-purpose a Muffin Tin I love this idea...


Arts and crafts supplies can be so hard to store... sometimes the craft drawer looks just like a junk drawer. Using plastic cups and a muffin tin is quick and easy. Plus, you probably already have these items in your home. 

Be sure to comment below and let me know the ways you organize your junk drawer. 

Thanks for stopping by and stay tuned for more organizing!!! 

xo
Cyndi

No comments:

Post a Comment