Saturday, February 4, 2017

Kitchen OCD... I mean, organizing!

Ever get in those moods where all you want to do is clean and organize? Or am I just insane? 




Today was one of those days. I had a bunch of "stuff" on my To-Do list and they all got done. Among the "stuff" was organizing a few kitchen cabinets. Generally, I keep our cabinets tidy but sometimes, things get a little wild. 

It was one of those freezing cold but super sunny days... makes me want to keep busy but stay inside. As you can see in the picture below, I have plenty of cabinet space. The island has 2 huge cabinets and 2 drawers. We have SO much stuff and STILL can't fill all the cabinets. 



The kitchen is our most high traffic area. I cook just about every night and it's an open concept to the family room. If we aren't in the kitchen, we are in the family room. Oh and off the kitchen is the laundry room which is definitely a high traffic area (insert eye rolling emoji) 

So, I started with the island. My number one piece of advice is to clear EVERY SINGLE THING out. Starting with a clear, clean space is the best way to successfully organize. 



I placed according to how often we use. 


 These pot lid holders are my favorite. Simplest design, purchased from Walmart for maybe $7 and most importantly... it keeps me sane! 
The pans on tops are the most used... easy to reach. I placed the larger pots on the bottom, as pictured here. 

The other side of the island is flooded with Pyrex containers, Corningware, mixing bowls and strainers. 


 Stack if you can. I keep my mixing bowls stacked together. Makes it easier to store and keep tidy. Same with my Pyrex bowls and Corningware. 

So, after this I was feeling the "buzz" and decided to tackle a few other cabinets. My baking cabinet was in need of some serious attention... 


 The bottom shelf has advil, essential oils, cold medicines, etc. I got sick of going upstairs for these things all of the time. Plus, I remember my mom did/does the exact same thing in her baking cabinet so I just did what she did! ;) Duh!

I line things up so everything looks neat. I recommend making rows... example- behind the baking powder is baking soda and corn starch. All of my extracts are lined up in a row, too. I am also a big fan of using these containers for sugars and flours. Aside from how cute they look, they keep the ingredients fresh. 

I did our coffee/mug/espresso cabinet a few weeks ago and I've kept up with it since so I figured I'd share. It's the small counter space by the fridge...







And then there is my "cups/glasses" cabinet which I always keep tidy so I wanted to share that, too. In the spirit of organization!


And last but not least... the spice cabinet. Not sure why this picture came out so foggy but you get the gist. 




I am feeling so accomplished! Does this inspire you to organize your kitchen or question my sanity?!?!?!

Leave a comment below and let me know!

-Cyndi

No comments:

Post a Comment